Monday, September 7, 2009

Time for a Rotation

It is labor day. My family and I took a drive to my wife's parents' home. We had a great time together and ate a wonderful lunch which included steaks cooked perfectly on the grill by my brother-in-law.

On the way there, we drove through some rain. I am usually a pretty confident driver in rain or snow, but as I was driving up the interstate we started to hydroplane. It got my attention and then kept my attention as we continued to hydroplane a few more times.

When we arrived at my in-laws, I decided something needed to be done. It's not worth chancing a wreck with my wife and 5 boys in the van. I knew what the problem was. The back tires were fine, however the tread on the front tires was wearing.

So, with two jacks and some effort my father-in-law and I rotated the tires so that both front wheels have good tread to pull the van, even when it's raining. The van drove great on the way home and I could actually feel the difference.

Some of us could use the same thing in our lives. We're driving on worn tread.

Ephesians 4:22-24 says:
"to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness."

You may feel like you have no spiritual tread. If so, maybe you need to rotate things. Too often people claim to be in Christ, yet they neglect to put off the former manner of life and put on the new self, created in true righteousness and holiness. If you have things out of place and are still holding on the your former manner of life, you'll get no traction. When storms come you will slip.

What is this new self? Get into the bible and find out. Read, read, read and pray, pray, pray. Read and pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you and change you and teach you through His word.

No comments: