Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Listening with Our Eyes

Yesterday evening I was hanging out with my family and we noticed a rainbow that was directly in front of our home. It was the brightest I remember seeing. It arched high into the sky and could be seen clearly end to end. My wife and four boys gathered around the living room window with me to behold it's beauty.

I thought: "God made that." So bright and so beautiful. And yet it does not compare to the brightness and beauty of Him.

Then today I saw a picture taken by the Hubble Telescope. It was described as a "peculiar group of interacting galaxies that contains a 'cosmic fountain' of stars, gas and dust that stretches over 100,000 light years." Beautiful. And grand.

Again, I thought: "God made that." What a blessing that we can even look at it. Yet it does not compare to the beauty and grandness of it's Creator.

Psalm 19:1 says, "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork."

God made that rainbow and he made those galaxies for a purpose. Not so a small family of 6 could gather around a window and say, "Wow! That is it! That's real beauty." Indeed, that might be true. But we ought to listen with our eyes. That rainbow, those galaxies and many more things... things you are looking at today that I will not see... they are saying something. They are declaring to you and to me that God is glorious! He is a master creator and a loving Savior. They beckon us to look beyond them to someone more beautiful.

If we will only listen with our eyes.

No comments: