Sunday, July 1, 2007

It's never easy saying goodbye

This morning I preached through Acts 1:6-11. One of the things we talked about was Jesus' ascension into heaven. I was almost overwhelmed as I thought and taught through this whole part.

Have you ever thought about what the disciples must have been thinking? How about what they were feeling?

They had lost Jesus once already. He was dead. Their Friend and the One who they had given up everything to follow was dead. The miracle worker was gone. Their hopes were destroyed. Their hearts were broken.

Then the unthinkable happened. Jesus was alive! He had risen from the dead! The disciples had Jesus back. If that wasn't enough to bring eternal joy, they thought that they would be with Him forever. Yes, forever. The disciples thought that Jesus was going to set up His earthly kingdom and that they would be with Him forever. They would rule with Him, they thought. There could, in my mind, have been no greater joy than this. Forever... with Jesus. Their broken hearts, now overflowing with joy, would never again ache.

They were wrong.

It says in verse 10 that as Jesus disappeared into heaven the disciples stood gazing. Once again, I can only imagine, with broken hearts.

I cannot imagine how difficult it was to say goodbye, again. I've said goodbye to many friends in this life. I've cried almost every time. But none were Jesus. None had risen from the dead. None were the Savior of the world and healer of my heart.

It's never easy to say goodbye, but oh how I want to anticipate and long for Jesus' return like these brokenhearted disciples did.

No comments: