Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ingrown Hairs

I think I have four ingrown hairs on my face and neck right now. I hate those things. I mean, it's a pretty simple concept. If you're a hair, you're supposed to have a root that is firmly planted in the right direction while simultaneously growing out of the face. Pretty simple.

When hairs do the right thing, they look nice. I mean imagine what your head would look like if the hairs all rebelled and grew inward. Not pretty. On the other hand, when they all come out, whether through the top of the head or the face, it really can be quite pleasant (assumed grooming here).

Pleasant doesn't describe the circumstances I'm facing right now. Because when hairs decide to grow in, they really irritate you. They fester and cause pain... eventually either disappearing (for the life of me I can't figure that out) or exploding, which is painful.

This past Sunday I preached about our responsibility to be proclaimers. I feel like the church has a lot more ingrown hairs than ones growing the right direction. Apparently, from the Bible's perspective, we're supposed to have a root that is firmly planted in the right direction while simultaneously growing outward. We weren't meant to sing really loud inside a church building and then hide our faith from the world.

Don't be an ingrown hair. If you are, you might be irritating and you'll probably end up either disappearing or exploding... and that is usually pretty painful.

How has God used you to proclaim his greatness?

No comments: